Parents with learning difficulties: health & safety
The Healthy & Safe training program
Healthy & Safe is an evidence-based parent education program that helps parents with learning difficulties manage home dangers, accidents and childhood illness. This training gives professionals the tools to support parents with learning difficulties in the home.
Who is it for?
Professionals working in disability, health, child protection, welfare or family support who have the capacity to work individually with parents in their homes.
What does the training cover?
There are 19 health and safety modules included, with topics such as:
- understanding sickness and health
- the doctor
- using medicines safely
- life-threatening emergencies
- introduction to home safety
- fire dangers and precautions
- cooking dangers and precautions
- clutter dangers and precautions.
What will I receive?
- An introduction to core skills in working with parents with learning difficulties – and the opportunity to practice these skills
- Evidence-based strategies to help you meet your clients’ goals
- Interactive training sessions delivered by experienced Parenting Research Centre trainers
- Program materials for use in your work with parents
- Optional post-training coaching to integrate the skills and practices into your daily work
How can I access the training?
We run Healthy & Safe training throughout the year. For upcoming training dates, visit our Events page.
We can also develop a training package for your organisation. Packages can include standard or tailored training programs across a range of topics.
- See what tailored training we offer