SafeCare® is an evidence-based training program to help parents of young children at risk of neglect and abuse. There is extensive research to show SafeCare is effective – it has been shown to reduce child neglect and harm by 26 per cent.
The program is for parents with children aged 0-5 and focuses on three key things:
- building strong and positive interactions between parents and their children
- child health
- home safety.
The Parenting Research Centre is working with the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) to trial SafeCare in six agencies at 14 sites across NSW that are part of FACS’ Brighter Futures initiative.
We are now home to Australia’s largest group of SafeCare coaches, with a number of our staff trained to deliver, coach and train on SafeCare. To date, the program has reached more than 140 families in NSW.
Elsewhere in Australia, SafeCare is also being run by Act for Kids on the Gold Coast, Wanslea Family Services in metro Perth and OzChild in Victoria. SafeCare is a product of the National SafeCare Training and Research Center (NSTRC) at Georgia State University in the United States.
- Read more about how SafeCare works
- Read about our SafeCare support unit and our coaching expertise
- Read about the SafeCare trial in trial in NSW
- Contact us about SafeCare
- Watch the Four Corners program on how SafeCare is helping families