Managing difficult child behaviour
The Signposts for Building Better Behaviour training program
Signposts for Building Better Behaviour is an evidence-based parent education program that helps parents of children with an intellectual disability, developmental delays or a range of disabilities and difficulties such as autism spectrum disorder and toileting. This training gives professionals the tools to support parents promote positive behaviour and new skills in their child.
Who is eligible for the training?
Signposts training is designed to be delivered to organisations working in disability, health, education, child protection, welfare or family support. We can tailor the training to your individual organisation or provide a standard training program across a range of topics. It is helpful, but not mandatory, for attendees to have a background in child development, psychology or therapy.
To enquire about a training package for your organisation, please email us with your request at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note: Signposts training is not available as one-on-one training or for individual practitioners, as it is intended for whole organisation settings.
What does the training cover?
Topics covered include:
- assessing child behaviour to get a measure of the degree and types of difficulties
- encouraging positive behaviours through daily interactions
- replacing difficult behaviour with useful behaviour
- planning for better behaviour for typically difficult times and routines, such as meal times and when visitors arrive
- teaching skills
- working together as a team
- dealing with stress in the family.
What will I receive?
- An introduction to core skills in helping parent manage their child’s behaviours
- Evidence-based strategies to help you meet your clients’ goals
- Interactive training sessions delivered by experienced Parenting Research Centre trainers
- Program materials for use in your work with parents
- Optional post-training coaching to integrate the skills and practices into your daily work
- See what tailored training we offer
Practitioners previously trained in Signposts can access all program material, including parent materials, by emailing Vincent Lagioia at email@example.com. You may also find the following supplementary materials helpful: